Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dear Blogworld,

It's been ages since I last wrote an entry. Not surprising - it's sort of me, myself and I here. But I've spent the last year in Manhattan, and now going back to Vermont, then to Portland, OR for a year of so and I'm kind of out of sorts. In the past few months I've 1. Graduated with my MFA in playwriting, 2. Signed an option with a producer for one of my plays in Los Angeles, 3. Become unemployed, 4. Had my one year anniversary with no alcohol or pills even SLEEPING PILLS!!!, 5. Well, I guess that's about it.

Today I went to The Museum Of Moving Image in Queens with my friend, Janet. I told her I wanted to curate independent films that haven't been distributed. She thought I might get some inspiration and HOLY SHEET, she was right.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Independent film makers give me permission to use scenes from their movies that I will mix in some fabulous and heretofore (is that a word) unthought of method. Okay, that's a stretch. But kind of like being a curator except that I'm going to tell a story with THEIR stories and also find and use archival footage that isn't copyrighted. Not sure what all this is about. I just want to do it. And then figure it out. Maybe a documentary about these filmmakers and their stories? I don't know. But I would love to hear from you if:
A. You have any idea what I'm talking about.
B. You can help me understand what I'm talking about.
C. You are an independent filmmaker.
D. You have some ideas and suggestions of other work that is exploring film collage.

All right, there's more. Janet - beautiful, talented, inspirational - told me about an actress named Laurette Taylor. Ever heard of her? Me neither. She died in the 1940s and was the most admired actress of her generation. But mostly she was a stage actress and did not make films, or at least, not many. She apparently rocked New York with her interpretation of Amanda in Glass Menagerie. I've decided to spend the next few years - or whatever it takes - researching her life and writing a play about here. I would love to hear from you if you know anything about her.  Laurette Taylor. Maybe you heard it here first.

To recap:

Film collage
Laurette Taylor

Thank you for reading, if you are.  I'm happiest when I think I have a plan for the future.

Maura At Night

No comments:

Post a Comment